Your Perfect Thanksgiving Tipple
Time to hit the cocktail table! Yes, this time of year can be super stressy. Perhaps you feel this way this year? I don't drink because I'm stressed, I drink because I love cocktails! And they are truly one of the things I'm thankful for. I am just as (and sometimes even more) passionate about drinks as I am about food, so let me share this year's perfect Thanksgiving cocktail.
The base spirit for this drink is Becherovka
, a Czech liquor herbal in its taste and formulation like that of Italian digestifs/aperitifs or France's Benedictine. The website states unironically, "It's mysterious recipe is still kept in secret and there are only two persons in the world who know the rights ingredients and herbs used in production." It's still made in the Czech Republic and is refreshing all on its own.
Becherovka is perfect for this holiday season's almost inevitable gorging because it really does calm down and soothe your digestive system after a heavy meal (or perk it back up). It has an added bonus of going really well with autumn flavors like apple cider, honey, maple syrup and cinnamon without being too cloying. Great for savory cocktail pairings.
Here's what you'll need to whip up the *"Fall Bech" cocktail:
- 2 oz Becherovka
- 1 oz apple cider
- .5 oz Hiram Walker Caramel Apple Liqueur
- 1 barspoon (1/2 tsp.) maple syrup - yes, you must use real maple syrup
- .75 oz fresh lemon juice - yes, you must use fresh juice
- In shaker with ice, shake all ingredients.
- Strain over ice in highball glass, garnish with a thin apple slice
If you're traveling or attending parties this year, this makes a great batched cocktail as well - just be precise when you multiply out each of the ingredients so it doesn't go too herbal or acidic on you. Don't be afraid to add more maple syrup to taste when you're done batching.
Just be sure to keep it on ice when you get to where you're going (like my friends did here in their back patio cooler).
Cooking? Yes, I'm doing that. Since I just decided on Monday to host a couple people, I'm keeping the menu classic and simple while still trying a bunch of new-to-me recipes/techniques.
From my home to yours, I hope you have a wonderful holiday with family, friends or whoever it is you're loving on right now. We're alive and have so much to be grateful for.
* Disclosure: This cocktail recipe was provided to me by the brand and they FedExed me what I needed in order to feature it here this week. I did not create this cocktail (but I did decide to batch it and it worked perfectly). I wouldn't have featured it if I didn't already love Becherovka so, go on! Try something different.